The Patten Academy of Christian Education (PACE) was founded in 1944 by Dr. Bebe Patten. The founding purpose was to provide Christ-centered high school in which students could grow spiritually and academically in an atmosphere reflective of the teachings and values of Jesus Christ. In the early 1950’s grades seven and eight were added. In 1960, PACE expanded to include the addition of grades kindergarten through sixth grade.
PACE has been located on Coolidge Avenue since 1962, and is governed and supported by Christian Evangelical Churches of America (CECA - Also founded by Dr. Bebe Patten) and exists as an extension of its ministry to the youth of the community.
In 1974, PACE applied to the Western Association of Secondary Schools and Colleges (WASC) for accreditation, and in 1975, PACE was granted full accreditation for grades K-12. As a WASC accredited school, PACE graduates are accepted to major colleges and universities throughout the country.
In 1977, continuing to improve its educational services, PACE joined the Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI). As an association strongly committed to helping Christian schools in the training of young men and women, ACSI provides a number of educational services which directly benefit administrators, teachers and students.
In 1989, Patten Academy began its interscholastic sports program and competes in boys soccer, girls volleyball, boys and girls basketball, boys baseball and girls softball as a member of the Bay Area Christian Athletic League. The Patten Academy Bulldogs have produced numerous All-BACAL League players and several Oakland Tribune Athlete of the Week honorees.